Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Trash, Treasure and Stuff

Every year January shows up. We talk of new beginnings, and resolutions. Things we'll do differently. Things we'll do better. We determine to be our better selves. We'll lose weight. We'll work out more. We'll be kinder, gentler. We'll help more elderly ladies to cross the street. We'll bake more cookies for our neighbors. We'll learn to paint. 

Me? I always throw away in January. Junk drawers, closets, baskets and bins. I pull my trash can nearby and toss. I'll have a bag or 2 of "to be donated" items. It's how I get my fresh start.

But, while I throw away, I remember. Old photographs, momentos and souvenirs. Places, times, people. Memories, both good and bad, have helped to make me the person I am. I am a culmination of my experiences and the people I've experienced along the way. My triumphs and my mistakes have brought me to the place I am.

It's the same with all of us. 

So, this January, while we purge and resolve, let's also make room for our histories. Let's include them in our day-to-day. Let's learn from our past victories and grow from our mistakes. Let's move ahead, doing things we've never done before in ways we've never done them BECAUSE of what we've learned. Let's be brave and daring and unafraid. 

Throw away what's rubbish, but create a spot for what is, in fact, an old-treasure. 

Those chipped and missing an ear. Those things you bought at an estate sale for a dollar. Those things your husband refers to as clutter. But, I digress...

Let's use those treasures in new ways. Let's create new things as a result. Let's share what we've found, discovered and created with one another. Let's applaud those among us who've done just that. Or, are doing just that. And encourage others to do the same. 

Let's redefine trash. Let's rethink treasure. Let's be about what's important and let's do it together.

Cause, if I can, you can...

PS, I'm not just talking about stuff... Spoiler alert. People are treasures, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment